The client is an American video game company founded in 2015 and based in San Francisco, California. To promote their new video game, they needed to both appeal to new players and maintain interest from existing ones. Due to subpar reporting from previous agencies, the client did not have access to data from their game’s launch campaign, resulting in a lack of valuable first party data and general marketing insights.
In conjunction with those challenges, the gaming industry also suffers from limitations in connecting marketing efforts to actualized revenue. The majority of game sales occur on third party platforms like PlayStation and Xbox, which do not allow for pixel implementation and lack the ability to pivot strategies in real time. This creates a scenario where studios can neither track their conversions nor amend their approach.
Ntooitive Digital devised a two-pronged, four-month digital marketing plan: garner new interest and awareness for the game prior to the downloadable content (“DLC”) launch, and then re-engage these users during its release. To generate first party data and user insights, Ntooitive focused on social channels and behaviorally targeted display and pre-roll video for the first three months of the campaign. During the DLC launch, the focus switched to conversion through display, social, paid search and console direct buys to push DLC and standard game sales. Throughout the campaign a real-time, custom dashboard was created to accurately track performance and estimated game sales.
Through the combined efforts of Ntooitive’s two-pronged marketing plan, the client was able to:
- Drive sales for both the DLC and standard editions of the game.
- Maintain interest from former players while also bringing new players to the game.
- Provide comprehensive tracking and reporting through a real-time, custom dashboard.
- Keep cost per action low through quick and effective optimizations.
The strategy was successful in helping the studio garner awareness for their new game, push conversions, and track marketing effectiveness. The behaviorally targeted display and pre-roll video helped create new interest and awareness in the first phase. The social, paid search, and console direct buys help conversions and sales during the second phase. Throughout this process, a custom tracking dashboard allowed Ntooitive to make quick and effective optimizations to keep CPA down.
About the Client:
- The client is an American video game company founded in 2015 and based in San Francisco, California.
- They specialize in third person shooter survival experiences.
- After releasing the first installment of the game in late 2021, they planned to release the first downloadable content one year after the initial launch.
- The campaign yielded 2,400,000 social engagements and 37,189,208 impressions served.
- Interest grew, with a click through rate of 1.82%.
- New daily users to the game’s discord increased by 200%.
- Costs remained within the margin of $15 cost per conversion, and $.0.50 cost per click.
- The campaign amassed 690,000 clicks.
The interest and awareness led to 22,500 potential game sales.